Friday, June 3, 2011

Abby's Young Journey


My daughter planned a special night for Louis, Mom and I last night. She wanted to share with us some of the things she has learned in life and had put into words in a story she wrote in her writing class while pursuing her Masters degree. We were all told to be at Mom's at 6 o'clock. Abby had planned, as she does so well, a night to remember with a special supper of every one's favorite dish, small talk, coffee and then her reading of "Strength Through Generations." As I watched my daughter explain, through thoughtful insight, how she views her life she went from her grandparent's roots in Watertown, Tennessee until today, as a young 2nd grade teacher. I sat in amazement of her writing and how she had taken 3 generations and found such a correlation of that time, her inherited strength, and above all faith. Mother, Louis and I were humbled to be the subjects of her depth of remembrance and insight. I am at home now, reading and rereading and looking in between the lines, only to see how our merciful God uses all things for good to those who love Him. My fervent prayer for my unexpected gift from God, Abby, is that she will continue to see the things that God has for her and also be able to discern the things that aren't meant for her. I thank you, Abby, for your heart and understanding. What a joy to help you with your classroom and those precious children who might, one day, start with YOU as they REMEMBER!



2 comments:

fweakijam said...

Now that's blogging at its best! It is also every mother's dream; to give such things to her children and have them receive them. Thank you sharing your special evening.

My love and best to Abby...keep the faith the faith, my beautiful niece.

Aunt Merry

Queenie said...

I thank you for the beautiful thoughts that you composed in your story "Strength Through Generations". You know just
to know that anything I have done in my life, that had a part in inspiring a story like that, for even one of my 35 grands
and greats makes me wear my heart on the outside. I have tried to live such a life, not grand or loud, but a quite simple
life that my family could live comfortably with. Certainly Popa did the same. Did not accomplishment any outstanding
things, but nothing ever that would put a spot of unworthiness on our family. I am grateful to you to know I played a role in your strength...And I love you.